For detailed information about MTH 172, see the Policies page. For homework assignments, see the Homework page.
|Comic by Abstruse Goose. Used under a Creative Commons license.|
- Evan Dummit
Class times: MW 3:25pm–4:40pm, Hylan 102
- Office: Hylan 908
- Office Hours: M 12:45pm–1:45pm, F 11:30am–1pm.
- Email: email@example.com
- Steve Gonek
Class times: MWF 10:25am–11:15am, Hylan 105
- Office: Hylan 810
- Office Hours: M 1pm–2pm, W 2pm–3pm.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All students are expected to attend one workshop each week, during which you will work on the homework assignment due the following Monday. Workshops will begin the second week of classes (the week of 1/23). The workshops are scheduled as follows:
- Wednesday evening, 6:30-8:30pm, Hylan 1106A.
- Workshop TAs: Ben Dees and Angela Lai.
- Thursday evening, 6:30-8:30pm, Hylan 1106A.
- Workshop TAs: David Soukup and Adam Lott.
- Friday afternoon, 12:30-2:30pm, Hylan 1101.
- Workshop TAs: Sofia Carrilo and Nick Potter.
The exams will begin promptly at the start time, so please arrive at least 15 minutes early to ensure you receive the full time!
- Midterm 1: Thu Feb 23, 8:00-9:15am, Dewey 2-162.
- Topics on Midterm 1: Spivak chapters 13–15.
- Midterm 2: Thu Mar 30, 8:00-9:15am, Dewey 2-162.
- Topics on Midterm 2: Spivak chapters 18–20.
- Final: Mon May 8, 4:00-7:00pm, location TBA
- Topics on Final: TBA.
Notes and electronic devices (including, but not limited to, cell phones) are not permitted at exams. If you bring your phone, you will be asked to put it away in a bag that closes completely, or surrender it to the proctors for the duration of the exam.
You should bring your student id to all exams. You may be asked to show it to a proctor when you hand in your exam.
Calculus by Michael Spivak, 4th edition, which you should already possess from 171. In 172 we will cover chapters 13-27 (although we will skip chapters 16, 17, 21, and possibly some of 25-27). Earlier editions (which may be cheaper) have essentially the same text, but the exercises differ in numbering and arrangement. It is up to the student to make adjustments with regard to page numbers, chapter numbers, and content if using an earlier edition. The 4th edition will be on reserve at Carlson Library to facilitate this process.
How To Get Help in MTH 172
Here is a list of resources available to you if you need help in the course. If you are having difficulty, do not hesitate to ask for help!
Attend lecture: it is a bad idea to skip class!
Attend workshop: ditto!
Attend the instructors’ office hours: you are free to attend office hours for either instructor. You may freely show up during scheduled office hours, or make an appointment at another time if you feel you need more help.
Go to the Math Study Hall: Hylan 1104, 5pm–8pm Monday-Friday, staffed by Math graduate students. No appointments required.
Talk to your classmates: if you are struggling, you are probably not alone! Find other students you can work on the material with (for example, your groupmates in workshop), and organize a study group outside of class.