Advice for Probability Graduate Students
UR Seminar Calendar
Please check the calendar at your own university.
Go to Conferences
Columbia also maintains a list of probability events.
- March 7 - 9, 2019
- Interacting Particle Systems, Statistical Mechanics and Related Topics
- in honor of Tom Liggett
- March 13 - 16, 2019
- Seminar on Stochastic Processes
- University of Utah
- April 19 - 20, 2019
- Finger Lakes Probability Seminar
- May 20 - 22, 2019
- Spring Probability Workshop
- Academia Sinica, Taipei
- May 27 - June 8, 2019
- Virginia Integrable Probability Summer School
- University of Virginia
- June 9 - 15, 2019
- Stochastic Spatial Models
- For early career mathematicians
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- June 10 - 14, 2019
- Workshop on the Theory and Applications of Stochastic Partial Differential Equations
- Fields Institute, Toronto
- June 11 - 20, 2019
- 11th Cornell Probability Summer School
- July 8 - 12, 2019
- 41st Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications
- Evanston, Illinois
- July 22 - 27, 2019
- 23rd Brazilian School of Probability
- Sao Carlos
- December 2 - 6, 2019
- Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
- June 2020
- 7th Cornell Conference on Analysis, Probability, and Mathematical Physics on Fractals
- August 17 - 21, 2020
- 10th World Congress in Probability and Statistics
- Terence Tao’s Career Advice
- Ravi Vakil’s Advice for Grad Students
- Fan Chung’s Advice for Grad Students
- Harvard’s Guide to Graduate Study in Math.
- Interview with AMS president Ken Ribet; see the part about mathematicians in the private sector.
Opinions and Philosophy
Life in General
- Video on the importance long-term effort.
- An Algorithm for Discovery in science and math.
- Jobs at Companies, from the point of view of Statistics.
- Mumford The Dawning of the Age of Stochasticity
- Thurston, On Proof and Progress in Mathematics
- Weinberg, Four Golden Lessons
The following archives have huge numbers of wonderful math books and papers. Their status is uncertain; use them at your own discretion.
Use Online Resources
- Current Preprints
- ArXive Probability Preprints
- Download Articles
- These two sites allow you to download articles from the literature, provided they are older than a year or two (so the journals can still make money).
- Project Euclid
- Electronic Journals
- Electronic Journal of Probability
- Probability Surveys
- Latin American J. of Prob. and Math. Stat.
- Personal Web Pages
- You can find papers on the web pages of your favorite probabilists or other mathematicians. Depending on your choice, the quality could be very high.
Attend Programs at Institutes
There are many mathematical research institutes worldwide. Some are conference centers or simply departments by another name, but most run semester-long periods of concentration in specific areas. They often give support to young researchers and graduate students.
* Supports research in pairs or teams.
- MSRI, Berkeley
- Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton
- ICERM*, Brown U
- DIMACS, Rutgers. Discrete math and computer science.
- IMA, U of Minnesota. Mostly for applied work.
- MBI, Ohio State. Mathematical biosciences.
- AIM*, Bay Area, California
- IPAM, UCLA
- SAMSI, Raleigh-Durham North Carolina. Statistics and probability.
- Park City Math Institute, Utah
- Simons Center for Geometry and Physics, SUNY Stony Brook.
- Center of Mathematical Sciences and Applications, Harvard.
- Fields Institute, Toronto
- PIMS, Vancouver and nearby universities.
- BIRS*, Banff, Canada
- CRM, Montreal
- CIMAT, Guanajuato, Mexico
- CMO, Oaxaca, Mexico
- Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK
- Turing Institute, London. Data science
- ICMS*, Edinburgh
- Hamilton Institute, Maynooth, Ireland
- Hamilton Mathematics Institute, Dublin
- IHES, Paris
- Institute Henri Poincare*, Paris
- Lebesgue Center, Rennes, France
- Saint Flour summer school in probability. France
- CIRM*, Luminy, France
- Oberwolfach*, Germany
- Hausdorff Center, Bonn
- Hausdorff Institute, Bonn
- Max Planck Institute, Bonn
- Schrodinger Institute, Vienna
- Bernoulli Center*, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Mittag-Leffler Institute*, Stockholm
- Eurandom, Eindhoven, Netherlands. Stochastics.
- De Giorgi Center*, Pisa
- RISM, Varese
- ICMAT*, Madrid
- CRM, Barcelona
- CIRM*, Trento, Italy
- Euler Institute, St. Petersburg
- Banach Center, Warsaw
- MATRIX, Australia
- KIAS*, Seoul
- IBS-CGP*, Pohang, Korea
- NIMS, Daejeon, Korea
- Vietnam Institute of Mathematics, Hanoi
- VIASM, Hanoi
- RIMS*, Kyoto University
- Morningside Center, Beijing
- ICTS Bangalore
- Tata Institute, India (click on Faculties/Centres)
- Indian Statistical Institute, (several branches, do a search)
The Fields Institute also has a List of Institutes.