Evan Dummit’s Main Page
Main. Course Notes. Lectures.
- I am a Visiting Assistant Professor, and my office is 908 Hylan, 585-275-4424 (on campus, x54424).
- I am currently teaching Math 172 (Honors Calculus II) and Math 235 (Linear Algebra).
- In past semesters, I have taught Math 141, Math 143, Math 164, Math 165, Math 171, Math 215, Math 230, and Math 233. Lecture notes for these courses and others are available on my Course Notes page.
- Email is the best way to contact me: edummit[at]ur[dot]rochester[dot]edu.
- Here is a copy of my CV.
About me, mathematically:
- I earned a BS and MS in Mathematics from Caltech in 2009, an MA in Mathematics from UW-Madison in 2010, and my PhD in Mathematics from UW-Madison in 2014.
- I am an algebraic number theorist by training. However, my interests also include a number of other topics, such as arithmetic dynamics, algebraic combinatorics, finite-field arithmetic and geometry, elliptic curves and modular forms, competition mathematics, and many other things too numerous to list here.
- Past and current projects of mine (see below) have involved finite-field hypergeometric functions and Kloosterman sums, arithmetic statistics of number fields, characterizations of power residue matrices, Kakeya sets over non-archimedean local rings, and computational aspects of p-adic modular forms.
- Counting G-extensions by discriminant, submitted.
- Characterizations of the dth-power residue matrices over finite fields, submitted.
- The number of quadratic, cubic, and quartic residue matrices, submitted.
- Characterizations of Quadratic, Cubic, and Quartic Residue Matrices, Journal of Number Theory, 2016 (with D. Dummit and H. Kisilevsky) (arxiv)
- Explicit Computations of Hida Families via Overconvergent Modular Symbols, Research in Number Theory, 2016 (with M. Hablicsek, R. Harron, L. Jain, R. Pollack, and D. Ross) (arxiv)
- Counting Number Field Extensions of Given Degree, Bounded Discriminant, and Specified Galois Closure, Ph.D. thesis (pdf).
- Kakeya Sets over Non-Archimedean Local Rings, Mathematika, 2013 (with M. Hablicsek) (arxiv)
- A Conjecture of Evans on Sums of Kloosterman Sums, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, 2010 (with A. Goldberg and A. Perry) (pdf)